Auchinearn, Old and New
- AUCHINEARN, OLD and NEW, a village, in the parish of Cadder, Lower ward of the county of Lanark; containing 561 inhabitants, chiefly employed in agriculture. A library has been very recently established in the village, in which, also, is situated one of the parochial schools, endowed with 1000 merks, by the late Rev. James Warden. In 1764, Dr. William Leechman, principal of the university of Glasgow, and then proprietor of this estate, gave, in trust to the Kirk Session, a schoolroom and house for a teacher, with a small portion of land, on condition that they should appoint a master. The school-house was handsomely rebuilt in 1826, by the late Charles Stirling, Esq., assisted by Archibald Lamont, Esq., and other heritors.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.